I am working with Professor Toups and Professor Tran on “Wearable Interfaces to Direct Agent Teams with Adaptive Autonomy” project. The objective of this project is to develop wearable interfaces for the direction of a team of software agents that make use of adaptive autonomy, and ascertain the effectiveness of our interface designs and agent-control algorithms. My research focuses on discovering and developing effective interface mappings from individual mobile input modalities (e.g., touch screen, free-air gestures, device- based gestures).
Design wearable interfaces, evaluate wearable interface, game design, mixed reality, and hand-gesture technology.
- Dolgov, I., Kaltenbach, E., Khalaf, A. S., & Toups, Z. O. (in press). Measuring human performance in the field: Concepts and applications for unmanned aircraft systems. In H. Cuevas, J. Velasquez, & A. Dattel (Eds.), Human Factors in Practice: Concepts and Applications. Taylor & Francis.
- Sultan A. Alharthi, Ruth Torres, Ahmed S. Khalaf, and Zachary O. Toups. 2017. The Maze: Enabling Collaborative Planning in Games Through Annotation Interfaces. In Extended Abstracts Publication of the Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play (CHI PLAY ’17 Extended Abstracts). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 615-620. DOI: https://libezp.nmsu.edu:2072/10.1145/3130859.3130864
- Sultan A. Alharthi, Ruth C. Torres, Ahmed S. Khalaf, Zachary O. Toups, Igor Dolgov, and Lennart E. Nacke. 2018. Investigating the Impact of Annotation Interfaces on Player Performance in Distributed Multiplayer Games. In Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI ’18). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Paper 314, 13 pages. DOI: https://libezp.nmsu.edu:2072/10.1145/3173574.3173888
- Ahmed S. Khalaf, Poom Pianpak, Sultan A. Alharthi, Zahra NaminiManji, Ruth C. Torres, Son Tran, Igor Dolgov, & Zachary O. Toups. 2018. An Architecture for Simulating Drones in Mixed Reality Games to Explore Future Search and Rescue Scenarios. In Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management (ISCRAM ’18) DOI: https://pixl.nmsu.edu/files/2018/03/2018_ISCRAM_MR_game_architecture_final.pdf
- , Nick LaLone, Ahmed S. Khalaf, Ruth C. Torres, Lennart E. Nacke, Igor Dolgov, & Zachary O. Toups. 2018. Practical Insights into the Design of Future Disaster Response Training Simulations. In
- Ahmed S. Khalaf, Sultan A. Alharthi, Son Tran, Igor Dolgov, and Zachary O. Toups. 2019. A Taxonomy for Selecting Wearable Input Devices for Mixed Reality. In Proceedings of the 2019 ACM International Conference on Interactive Surfaces and Spaces (ISS ’19). ACM, New York, NY, USA, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/3343055.3360759
- Ahmed S. Khalaf, Sultan A. Alharthi, Igor Dolgov, and Zachary O. Toups. 2019. A Comparative Study of Hand Gesture Recognition Devices in the Context of Game Design. In Proceedings of the 2019 ACM International Conference on Interactive Surfaces and Spaces (ISS ’19). ACM, New York, NY, USA, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/3343055.3360758
- Ahmed S. Khalaf, Sultan A. Alharthi, Bill Hamilton, Igor Dolgov, Son Tran and Zachary O. Toups. 2020. A Framework of Input Devices to Support Designing Composite Wearable Computers. In Proceedings of the 22ND International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (HCII ’20). Springer, Cham.
- Ahmed S. Khalaf, Sultan A. Alharthi, Igor Dolgov, and Zachary O. Toups. 2020. A Comparative Study of Hand-Gesture Recognition Devices for Games. In Proceedings of the 22ND International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (HCII ’20). Springer, Cham.
- Pianomosh (2015). A game that allow players to use free-air hand gestures to learn simple piano notes in a fun way. Pure Data, Leap Motion. [Video][Pictures]
- Hand-Gesture (2016). A hand gesture game which is used to compare between hand-gesture devices.
- The Maze (2016). A cooperative game developed to support training disaster responders on sensemaking and planning activity
- A High School teacher, Ministry of Education, Saudi Arabia (2003-2012).
- A lecturer, Computer Science department, Computer Science and Information Technology Faculty, Al-Baha University, Saudi Arabia, (2012 – Now).
Masters of Science, Information Technology, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia (2009 – 2010)
Bachelor in Interdisciplinary Studies, Computer Science and Education
King Abdul Aziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia (1999 – 2003)